For most women, thinning hair is a natural part of aging. As women get older, hair follicles become smaller and less active. This makes them less able to produce the hair shafts needed for full-bodied locks. In addition, hormonal changes can cause a woman’s body to produce more male hormones than female ones. These male hormones can decrease the amount of estrogen produced by the ovaries, which helps keep skin and hair elastic and healthy. As a result, some women experience significant thinning hair on top of their heads around age 50 or 60 due to these hormonal changes alone.
Causes of Thinning Hair in Women
- It is estimated that almost half of women experience some degree of hair loss.
- The most common cause of female pattern baldness is genetic: it can be passed down from your mother or father.
- Other things that can contribute to hair loss include medical conditions such as thyroid disease or anemia. It can also be caused by certain medications like chemotherapy drugs.
- Thinning hair can also be triggered by stress, diet and childbirth.
What Treatments Are Available in Ireland for Thinning Hair?
Treatment for hair loss depends on the cause of your hair loss. Here are some of the available treatments that can be used to treat thinning hair in Ireland:
- Hair transplant
- Hair restoration
- Hair replacement
- Hair loss medication
- Hair loss vitamins and supplements (like biotin)
- Scalp massage cream
The above options are only a few examples of treatment options available in Ireland for thinning hair. The best way to determine which treatment is right for you is by seeking advice from a healthcare provider who specializes in treating patients with thinning or balding scalps.
How Do You Prevent Thinning Hair in Women?
If you want to prevent thinning hair, there are some things you can do.
- Reduce stress. Stress raises cortisol levels and affects the hair growth cycle. This can lead to telogen effluvium, which is when a lot of hair falls out at once and causes temporary thinning.
- Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables that will provide your body with the nutrients it needs for strong hair growth.
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation in your scalp and increase blood flow to promote healthy follicles and keep them from shrinking too much during their resting phase.
- Avoid smoking because nicotine constricts blood vessels in the scalp which reduces oxygen flow leading to poor circulation in the follicles causing them not to be able to grow properly or produce enough keratin for thick strands of healthy hair growth.
If you want to know more about the different causes of thinning hair in women and how they can be treated, please contact us today. We have many years of experience in this area and would love to help you find the best solution for your problem. Our trichologist can help address your queries. Call us today at +353 (0)1 6793618 or click here to contact us.